Translate

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Hermes Trismegistus

💗🎻 🎶🎷🎵🎹
Rising from the earth
Mesmerizing harmony –
Ancient melody.

💗🎻 🎶🎷🎵🎹 
Stories of Hermes Trismegistus have long fascinated me. Some say he was a thief. Some say he was a Christ-like being. All say he was genius. I first read about Hermes when I was in elementary school. My mother was a devotee of the written word and so books overflowed the shelves, counters and tables in our home. This is where I first encountered Hermes. For many years, well into my teens I would revisit him in thought and consideration. Then, off and on again, I would look to and consider Hermes Trismegistus.
I have not considered Hermes for many years – then yesterday evening I began to ruminate on ancient music and use of sound. From there I jumped to stories saying that Hermes invented the first Lyre from the shell of a tortoise and strings from the cow.
The Greek followers of the Egyptian Hermes translated his primary gnosis and titled it “Poemandres” which some believe came from the original Egyptian. The translation of this title is “The Shepherd of Men”. One of the sermons in this tome is titled “The Key”.  

Here is a translation of a small portion of the sermon:
🎵🎵🎵
“But on the pious soul
the Mind doth mount
and guide it to the Gnosis' Light.
And such a soul doth never tire
in songs of praise to God
and pouring blessing on all men,
and doing good in word
and deed to all, in imitation of its Sire.”

🎵🎵

Now considering Hermes and his guidance of the people towards the light with sound and song, a natural outpouring of the soul.

Finding myself, inexorably drawn to the light assisted by Creator’s song and then joining in … indeed it would be impossible to resist. The heart song of Creator pulls the created back to the center of ALL.

💗🎻 🎶🎷🎵🎹
Photo of pottery shard by Peintre de Brygos - Clio20, Own work, 2006-09-04, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=9851392
Lyre with tortoiseshell body (rhyton, 480–470 BC)
💗🎻 🎶🎷🎵🎹
💗🎻 🎶🎷🎵

No comments:

Post a Comment