Translate

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

4/4/2018 Monkey Loves Television



😱 πŸ“Ί 😱 πŸ“Ί 😱 πŸ“Ί
Monkey mind chuckles -
You can’t get away from me
While watching TV.

😱 πŸ“Ί 😱 πŸ“Ί 😱 πŸ“Ί

When I lived in South Dakota I could easily go a week without turning on the TV. The screen I had was poor quality and small enough that if you sat across the living room you could not watch – I had to sit about 5 feet away at most to make out the images.

Depending on where I search the amount of time Americans spend mesmerized in front of the live television screen varies, however it hovers at about 5 hours per day in the average household across America. The Telegraph has stats across the world (link below).

As much as anything I consider the following of threads of thought vs being guided through threads of thought by moving TV images – then that juxtaposed to not thinking but rather just being through meditation, peaceful walking, sitting and watching the sun rise or set. The effect on circadian rhythm is likely huge as we turn to the ‘sun’ of screen light and shut our shades to the rising and setting of Sol.
I use ‘screens’ quite a bit to write in word documents and then I also go on web to gather and research data – so – though my TV screen can remain dark many days – my computer screen is opened almost daily. 

When I was a child or a teen growing up in the 50s and 60s, I went to the encyclopedia or any of the hundreds and hundreds of books my mother had on her shelves when I had a question. Then, every 2 weeks I would go to the library and check out books. My mother only allowed me 6 books, so I had to space it out to no more than 3 per week or I would be left book-less for some days which I did not like at all. I think perhaps my mother limited my book time, to get me out and playing in the sunlight, just as mothers today limit screen time to get the children out the door and into the sun and fresh air.
Today, I have 3 books shelves in my house, books scattered around my living room, kitchen counter and my bedroom night stand. Then there is the trove I have in boxes in the garage (...with the intent of building more shelves so I can bring them in – where I think they belong – hands’ reach for easy access.)

I do not want to throw the baby out with the proverbial bathwater. I do not know the magical perfect amount of screen time – if any perfect amount exists. 

I do know, when I take screen time breaks (even from cell phone screen) time flies, perspective changes and peace increases.
JUST SAYIN’ 
😱 πŸ“Ί 😱 πŸ“Ί 😱 πŸ“Ί
Possible link options – no serious papers here – casual peruse only….
😱 πŸ“Ί 😱 πŸ“Ί 😱 πŸ“Ί 


😱 πŸ“Ί 😱 πŸ“Ί 😱 πŸ“Ί


No comments:

Post a Comment