Translate

Saturday, April 28, 2018

4 27 2018 Traveling with dogs

🌱 🌿 💐 🌿
Traveling with dogs,
Through them I see the wonder -
And learn about trust.

🌱 🌿 💐

This photo was taken in August of 2013 when I was traveling from RoseBud reservation (my home for some years) to return to the ‘most of my life home’ along the coast of Southern California. My car kept overheating and in the hottest part of summer traveling through the desert and across mountain ranges in a car that I felt at any moment may ‘give up the ghost’ was a big concern for me. I remember in the middle of the day traveling barren desert mountain roads, watching the heat indicator rise well into to the red and praying to reach the top and start the downward descent where the car could cool for a bit... and then doing it over and over and over again as the road rose and fell. I was concerned that doggies and I would end up finding ourselves walking in the heat of summer.
How would i keep doggie paws from getting burned walking the hot dirt, stone and asphalt?
The doggie girls of course did not have the least concern. They trusted me 100% to take care of them and so - with abandon they just enjoyed the travels.
My doggie girls have traveled oh so many miles with me. Across desert, across mountain, through city streets and along shore lines. Through their eyes I see the wonder as they call out, “Look at this mom” or “Mom stop here, stop here, we want to adventure on foot for a bit now.” We took 3 good walks a day and maybe one or two shorter ones as we traveled across the South Dakota, Nebraska, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Arizona, Nevada and into California.
I kept water and food for the girls in the car and on smooth roads I would put a bit of food and water in their dishes, so they could munch along the way. I would share with them a carrot or two … and okay a potato chip or two also.
We would stop for the night and get a room at whatever motel happened to show up along the way as night drew near. Fingers crossed and even though it was summer season we always found room at the inn. Of course, I was the ones with fingers crossed as doggie girls left all the details to ‘mom’.
As I write this, sitting on my couch with sunlight burning light into the day, my doggie girls Wincicila and Lola lay respectfully on my left and right side. They snuggle close (under the light blanket I have on my lap). As always, trusting me to make the call as to when it is time to step outside and greet the sun and the abundant life waking in the hills here above the canyon. Thinking – it is about time to greet the sun – walk a bit – then come back and post this written meander.
If I were today, to choose to pack the car and head out across America, they would again be joyful and ready. They would leave behind their comfy home and open spaces without concern. They trust and open to each day joyously.
With gratitude for the lessons in surrender, trust and joy I witness daily as I travel through my days with doggie companions.
Beloved Creator, thank you for sending four legged companions who are both joyful and wise.
Learning to be a bit more like a doggie. 


🌱 🌿 💐 🌿


🌱 🌿 💐

No comments:

Post a Comment