Translate

Monday, July 23, 2018

July 8 2018 Co-Exist

☀️🌸🐜🌸🐜🌸🐜☀️
Yearly at this time
Ants abound kitchen counters.
Uninvited guests.

☀️🌸🐜🌸🐜🌸🐜☀️

An army of invaders enter my home seeking refuge, moisture and food every summer. I try to not see them as ‘the enemy’ but merely a tiny well-knit family seeking to survive the harsh, dry summer conditions. My usual management style is to co-exist.
They go where the food is found and so ultra clean counters and washing dirty dishes quickly diminishes their presence.
I see them around water sources; sinks, tubs and toilets too. If you come to my home in the summer do not be surprised if you also see them in these places. If I were in their situation, I would be doing the same – wouldn’t you !
If I leave a glass of water out or a cooling cup of coffee it is wise to look into the cup before drinking or my usually vegetarian diet may be a bit heavy on insect intake.
All year long, though especially in the summer, I will throw a bit of fruit and vegetable waste out into the wilds of my land with the specific intention of offering a bit of sustenance to creepy crawlies and four-leggeds. Whereas most such waste goes to composting, I do not want to forget the little ones. I will tell them, it is given with thank you to them for taking care of the land - and if they are being a bit aggressive in my home, I ask them to ‘back off a bit’ as it feels they are moving from co-exist to invasion. However, in addition to asking them to back off, I will also be sure and leave them a bit more food in the wilds.
This is the way of all of life. We are seeking homeostasis. Whether it is in our individual body wherein potassium and sodium are constantly seeking balance as they move into and out of cell membranes or as humans moving across the globe seeking food, moisture and shelter.
Honoring the little ant nations and seeking to co-exist.

Honoring the humans and seeking to also co-exist. 

☀️🌸🐜🌸🐜🌸🐜☀️
Ant with Umbrella, artist Dan Twyman
☀️🌸🐜🌸🐜🌸🐜☀️

No comments:

Post a Comment